Have you ever been cleaning your home and as you go along from room to room cleaning you realize there is more work to do than you thought? This happened to me this last weekend when I was cleaning my own home. I was in the bathroom and noticed some hard water build up. I was in the kitchen and noticed my cabinet doors needed some polishing (isn't that what you do to wooden cabinet doors?). The list just kept growing and growing. The dining chairs needed new pads, my car carpets needed to be steamcleaned, the paint still needed to be touched-up in the bathroom, the carpets needed to be steam cleaned. Unfortunately I didn't have time to do it all right then. And to be quite honest, I was feeling a little overwhelmed. How did this all get this way? Why do I feel like a one woman show? (sigh) So I dutifully wrote a list assigning tasks to each day (while I was trying to listen to our Stake Conference speaker...hmmm...). So far, so good. The chairs are re-padded and the paint has been touched up. But I'm still feeling overwhelmed. The mountain looks too tall to climb. I got to thinking about every one else's homes. How clean are they? Am I the only one that has this insurmountable mountain to climb? I recall seeing a BBC program once where this woman's house was FILTHY. I mean, think of the filthiest place you could EVER imagine and then you've got it. Pans in the sink, never washed but re-used...nice and crusted. The oven was so built up it looked like Pompeii had exploded within it. The bathroom....I don't even want to do there. Ew. There wasn't a clean place within the entire flat (isn't that what the British call their apartments?) you could step without stepping on some thing. Anyway, I've never actually been inside anyone's home that remotely resembled that but I got to thinking about it and thats what led to the poll I have put on this here blog. I'm just curious.
Tuesday, September 18, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 Comments:
I know exactly what you mean. Things aren't as bad now since we are with my parents and we only have the upstairs but I remember feeling that way in my apartment even though it wasn't REALLY mine ya know? Your normal, don't worry! I think the list idea is perfect and before you know it you'll be done...only to start all over again.....
yeah there is always more to do. And it is for sure something every woman goes through. I am also sure there are a lot messier places then your house. I kinda always have a working list. Too bad I will never finish it. :)
My house could always be better. Everyone's could, right? My "to do" list (which is things not on my normal cleaning routine) has 7 major projects on it right now. I'm lucky if I get to one major project a month! And I don't even have kids! Don't worry about the stuff that doesn't really matter (like the hard water and the cupboards...although that would bother me too!)--just worry about keeping the home somewhat sanitized and cleansed for the health of your family. And maybe set aside one hour every month (or week or whatever) to just work on one of these "big" projects. When I think about mine all at once I get completely overwhelmed, but if I think of an hour at a time I can handle it :)
Post a Comment