Training has begun. Like spring training, but its winter. This is my second week of "training" to run the OC half marathon in May. Oh how different my body is since having my baby almost eight weeks ago. So much more different than after each of the boys. Each step I take is an effort, more so than its ever been before. Its not supposed to be this way. I exercised all through my pregnancy, mind you! I wasn't in stellar shape but I wasn't a lump on the log either. But you wouldn't be able to tell. Its a good thing this race is five months away! I'm not doing this alone though. I registerd for the training group too. It was expensive but its SO much more fun to run with a group than all by my lonesome, especially when we start running six, eight, and ten miles. I'm going to need the support of other crazies to get me through. Don't be fooled though, I really love it. I have silly dreams of actually breaking the 10 minute mile barrier (granted, I'm still hovering around 11:30 or 12). I subscribed to Runner's World and received my first issue a few weeks ago. I didn't want to put it down. Especially the article about why we all need a running partner. I have a love/hate relationship with running. Most of the time I hate taking the first few steps. I can talk myself out of doing my run almost every time. But you know what happens afterward? I come home a completely different person. I leave the house an inferior version of myself and when I get back, or when I finish my run on the treadmill, I've been upgraded. I am a better person. I handle stress better. I'm more patient. I'm more kind. I'm so much more fun to be around. I come back feeling like I could be on the cover of Runner's World....until I look in the mirror and am reminded I'm still me. I'm not going to lie and tell you that my motivation to run is for the love of running itself. I don't think you could even call what I do running, its more of a jog. I do it mostly just for the vanity and hope that I can drop some pounds and one day be a jaw dropper again....(haha). But it becomes so much more. Its my antidepressant, my therapy, my stress reliever, my trial of fire. My body is not running smoothly just yet but its running and I'm so thankful for that.
Monday, December 15, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


8 Comments:
Good for you Camilla!!! I agree, running makes me feel so much better too in so many respects. In fact it was my run tonight that kept me from throwing Sydney out the window:) ha ha! I'm using the Hal Higdon training work out for a 5k right now..one step at a time for me:)
You are awesome! I wish I had some more motivation for exercise!
You go girl!
Well put! I think exercise, no matter what you do,always feels like a drudgery. But boy it is sweet afterwards!I commend you for your tenacity! Keep it going! Keep blogging for support and we will post!
Amazing Camilla--- Great work! I remember the "firsts" of exercising after babies, and it feels like the first time hugh??? Totally strained and unnatural. I wish I had your grit... I guess I will just keep plugging away at the Y.
that's so awesome camilla. i wish i could run...or even jog. i've never been able to do it. after about 1/2 a block i'm too winded. i usually do a fast paced walk for 3 miles each day and aerobics. good luck w/your training and marathon. that's a great idea to get in with a group!
i SO wish we could run that race together. :(
Way to go, Camilla! Registering for a 1/2 marathon is awesome. Running is awesome too! I love it...it is addicting. I can't wait to hear how it goes!
Post a Comment