Do you remember grade school and how whenever you did something good you were rewarded with a gold star? At least, thats what it was like for me. Anyway, I feel like this is a gold star day. I've recently had parent/teacher conferences with Ethan and Luke's teachers. Now you might be thinking, this is just pre-k what can there be to conference about? Its not like we're talking grades and college aspirations here. I've just sat down with the teachers (or emailed) and heard about what kinds of behaviors my boys are displaying, if they are adapting to their environment, whether or not they are understanding the lessons taught, etc. Miss Leah (Ethan's teacher) and Miss Jessica (Luke's) have both had such positive things to say about the boys that I've had to hold back the tears (I know, I know....I'm blaming it on my post-partumness...haha). As a parent, its not often that you receive recognition or even some sort of validation that you are doing an ok job. But this feels like it. I feel like maybe, just maybe, Steve and I are doing something right. At the same time, I can't take all the credit. My boys and I are so lucky to have a big support network and they really are being raised by a community of people who love them. I'm not trying to "toot my own horn" here. Believe me, I am well aware of my incompetencies as a mother (patience? anyone handing out extra helpings of patience?). But for right now, at this moment in our lives, I feel like I can say that we are doing ok. Who knows what the next moment brings. The only thing I know for sure is that I will try my best to do what's best for these two little guys (and Sadie too). This all has made me think about parenting in general.
Wednesday, November 19, 2008
Gold Star
Do you remember grade school and how whenever you did something good you were rewarded with a gold star? At least, thats what it was like for me. Anyway, I feel like this is a gold star day. I've recently had parent/teacher conferences with Ethan and Luke's teachers. Now you might be thinking, this is just pre-k what can there be to conference about? Its not like we're talking grades and college aspirations here. I've just sat down with the teachers (or emailed) and heard about what kinds of behaviors my boys are displaying, if they are adapting to their environment, whether or not they are understanding the lessons taught, etc. Miss Leah (Ethan's teacher) and Miss Jessica (Luke's) have both had such positive things to say about the boys that I've had to hold back the tears (I know, I know....I'm blaming it on my post-partumness...haha). As a parent, its not often that you receive recognition or even some sort of validation that you are doing an ok job. But this feels like it. I feel like maybe, just maybe, Steve and I are doing something right. At the same time, I can't take all the credit. My boys and I are so lucky to have a big support network and they really are being raised by a community of people who love them. I'm not trying to "toot my own horn" here. Believe me, I am well aware of my incompetencies as a mother (patience? anyone handing out extra helpings of patience?). But for right now, at this moment in our lives, I feel like I can say that we are doing ok. Who knows what the next moment brings. The only thing I know for sure is that I will try my best to do what's best for these two little guys (and Sadie too). This all has made me think about parenting in general.

Posted by
Camilla
at
9:30 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 Comments:
Post a Comment