
Now that we are on the verge of entering the world of all things girl some of our conversations have changed. One instance in particular relates to whether or not we will subject our dear little daughter to having a whole pierced in her ear. When Steve and I first embarked on our "journey" known as parenthood we discussed what "procedures" we would choose for our children when they were young. We always knew we would circumsize our boys, no question. The question of ear piercing came up and I said its the same as circumsizing, in my opinion. Now before you attack me with the reasons that ear piercing and circumsizing are not different just hear me out. I know piercing my daughter's ears has no known health benefits, I'm not equating ear piercing and circumsicion in that aspect. I just say, there is no question about it. My dad pierced my ears when I was a baby and both my sisters had their ear pierced as babies also. I think its a heck of a lot easier to pierce a baby's ears than to wait until my daughter is older and can remember the pain of the experience. Its also easier in upkeep too. Piercing my baby's ears gives me the control of taking care of them whereas having an older girl's ears pierced the care would be in her hands therefore leading to unnecessary infections and pain (believe me, I speak from experience, having pierced my ears multiple times in elementary school). Also, if I don't do it now who's to say she won't choose to do it behind my back? One of my most vivid memories of elementary school is going to the bathroom every recess for a month to pierce my good friend Amy's ears. Her parents would not allow it so we would pierce them for the day, she would remove the ear rings when she got home and we would have to repeat the process the following day. (All your perfect notions of me are vanishing in thin air aren't they? Well who am I to assume you even had any perfect notions of me to begin with...hehe) So, in case you were wondering, yes we will be piercing her ears before she is six months old. I won't judge you if you won't judge me.
Wednesday, June 25, 2008
The great ear ring debate

Posted by
Camilla
at
5:23 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 Comments:
My father's rule was first ear piercing at age 12. I do remember crying from the pain, but it was so ‘cool’ to have pierced ears, so I sucked it up. I had to take care of my ears, and yes I had infections because I was 12!! I agree with you that if you have a boy you decide on circumcision, girls its ear piercing.
Meghan was 4 months old, Katie was 5 months old, and yes our new little one will also have her ears pierced before she is 5 months old.
The hard part is deciding on which earrings to choose: birthstone stud, gold heart, gold round, diamond heart, diamond circle, silver stud...ah the joys of having a girl, so many decisions!!
I agree with you. I cannot see why it is such a big deal personally. I am not sure if I will pierce just because I might be too lazy to care for them myself, but I certainly dont have a problem if other people want to do it. We all end up with pierced ears anyway, right?
Go for it!! It took me four months to convince james, but then afterwards they are just so precious and girly! All your reasonings are right on! It has been so easy with the girls,its getting me ready for my boy...one day
i agree with u! i wish i would have done kora's when she was only months old because doing it at age 2, and then 3 and then 4 was horrible. exactly what u escribed...she would pull them out etc etc and they wouldn't just stay. now they're fine but looking back it would have been so much easier to do it when she was a baby. i had mine done when i was 3 months.
Post a Comment