Saturday, November 26, 2011

To be thankful...

I love Thanksgiving but the highlight of this year's celebration were the poems Ethan and Luke memorized for the school assembly. The assembly was so full of the Thanksgiving spirit. I asked my boys to recite their poems to me as often as I could coax it out of them.

Luke's Thanksgiving poem:
"A Thanksgiving Poem"
T is for the trust the Pilgrim's had so many years ago.
H is for the harvest the settlers learned to grow.
A is for America, the land in which we live.
N is for nature and beauty which she gives.
K is for kindness, gentle words, thoughtful deeds.
S is for smiles, the sunshine everyone needs.
G is for gratitude, our blessings big and small.
I is for ideas, letting wisdom grow tall.
V is for voices, singing, laughing, always caring.
I is for Indians who taught them about sharing.
N is for neighbors, across the street, over the sea.
G is for giving of myself to make a better me.

Here he is standing with his class before they recited their poem at the school assembly.



Ethan was sick on the day of the assembly so I don't have any pics of him with his class (I do have video of him reciting it but I'm not going to post that here).
Ethan's poem was:
"Twas The Night Before Thanksgiving"
Twas the night before Thanksgiving
But I just couldn't sleep.
I tried counting backwards - 3, 2, 1
I tried counting sheep - (snoring)
The leftovers beckoned, the dark meat and white.
But I fought the temptation with all of my might.
Tossing and turning, with anticipation
the thought of a snack became infatuation.
So I...raced to the kitchen, flung open the door
and gazed at the goodies galore.
I gobbled up turkey, buttered potatoes,
pickles and carrots, beans and tomatoes.
Uhh...I felt myself swelling, so plump and so round.
Til all of a sudden! I rose off the ground!
I crashed through the ceiling.
Floating into the sky.
But I managed to yell, as I soared pass the trees,
Happy eating to all! Pass the cranberries...please!

And Sadie made a turkey hat at preschool that I just thought was the icing on the cake!


I am IMMENSELY grateful for my lovely munchkins, for my sarcastic and funny hubs and for the life we all get to share together. Happy Thanksgiving!!

2 Comments:

Sher said...

Those are some seriously long poems, that's awesome they memorized them! And of course Sadie is so stinkin' adorable! Love her dimples she got from you, lucky girl.

anna banana said...

Happy Thanksgiving! (like 2 months later)

Love you all!