Thursday, March 11, 2010

Oh thoughts...

1. Birthdays. I had a great birthday this year. We went to Plum's for breakfast. Deliciousness. Disneyland with the kids. Naps. Then Cirque du Soleil's Kooza with the O-side Rasmussens. Oh, and I can't forget Sprinkles and May Garden. I love eating as much as I love having a celebration to eat for. I wish every day was birthday day. It was perfect. Thanks hubs.

Love the bumper cars in Bug-land
Sadie looking out over the bridge at the Redwood Creek Challenge Trail
Ethan's turn
My cake 2. Earthquakes. First Haiti. Then Chile. Now everyone's talking about California's "Big One." I hate to admit it but its occupying a lot of space in my head. I grew up in California. I've been through a few earthquakes in my day. Some have really shaken things up. But this one is supposed to be a doosey. And this time I have kids. I have three kids. I've found myself scoping out the ideal spot to run for cover. When I'm driving I've started noticing over passes and being a tad scared that I'll be on one or under one at the wrong moment. Why do I have so many things on my walls? Why is there so much glass in my house? How will I turn the water off if a pipe bursts? Will Steve be ok if it hits while he's at work? And then there's food storage...I don't even want to start on that topic. Its overwhelming. Sorry, not to be depressing. I shouldn't have read Cormac McCarthy's book The Road. It really got me scared. Not that we don't have anything. We have two storage barrels of water, we have a good radio, a honeybucket, a first aid kit, and some food. If our house is mostly in tact we should be ok for a while. We will continue to do what we can to prepare. On a funny note, Steve likes to joke that after the big one hits we'll probably have beach front property.

3. My father in law is coming to help Steve start fixing up our master bathroom at the end of this month. Thank you Daddy Dan!! Could it be that we'll actually have two functioning bathrooms? I know its going to be a long road until its done. I honestly can't wait. My poor hubs is going to have to live with the impatient person that is myself....and I can't really help. I'm crossing my fingers that its done before Christmas. I can't imagine what it will be like to have it finished. I can't imagine what it will be like to move into the master bedroom and have our own bathroom. I think of being on the opposite side of the house from the kids and I get nervous and giddy at the same time. I think of having a whole extra room and my heart begins to flutter. If any of you want to offer up your husbands in service we'd greatly appreciate it. I might even bake something for you. (wink)

4. A friend of mine recently posted this line on her Facebook and I just loved it. I want to share: "the foolish man seeks happiness in the distance. A wise man grows it under his feet." I definitely need to break the habit of thinking "I'll be happy when..." Its time to be happy now. One, of many, things I have to be happy about:

8 Comments:

Denice said...

Hey, Camilla... what weekend do is Dan the man coming... if we can swing it I would love to send B to help... don't worry he is a worker and won't demand too much cake!

anna banana said...

All I know are those glasses are the most darling thing ever. Dont watch 2012, it will be all too realistic for you with the earthquake situation.

anna banana said...

Okay and I forgot to say, the cake is darling! I love it!

Sher said...

We just saw 2012 and I think all you californians ought to move out here by us, in the desert! :) The cake is awesome and love the glasses, what a cutie!

Mae said...

i still can't believe you made your own cake! but, you are clearly the best at it. can't wait to see the cake you make tonight!

The Naylor Family said...

Been a while since I have checked in on your posts! Look what I have been missing!!!! What an incredible love letter to Hubby. I love all your honest and heart-felt comments about everything in your life ... even the earthquakes! They used to scare the CRAP out of me when we lived in California! Sorry that they have to occupy ANY space in your head but try and prepare the best you can and that will really bring you peace. Then just "grow the grass under your feet" and enjoy. Wouldn't recommend avoiding overpasses either -- could make for some nasty driving times!!!

Heather said...

I love that last quote too, it reminds me of a talk I read recently that made me think, oh yeah I should look for happiness in the here and now. Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

fun!!! happy belated birthday--love your cake!!!