Wednesday, September 16, 2009

First day of school for a kindergartner and preschooler

First day of school came and went. Luke is going to preschool from 8-11am five days a week at Sonora. His teacher is Ms. Wanda. He has only had two days where he didn't want to be there and has been fine ever since. I took a picture from outside the class so he wouldn't know I was still there. I think the saddest part is that Luke doesn't see Ethan anymore. Last year they saw each other at recess but were in different classes. This year Ethan is on a different schedule. I think it will be good for Luke to develop his own personality a little bit and break the habit of being a shadow of his older brother. I feel for him though. Next year they will be back on the same schedule.
Ethan took to school without a hitch. His teacher's name is Mrs. Krabbe and he's in the same class as two boys from his Primary class; Hunter Windschitl and Maxwell Waldron. He is at the same school as Luke, which is two or three blocks away from our house. We've been walking to school as a family every morning. The school started enforcing uniforms. I see the good side of it but I feel bad for Ethan when he doesn't get to wear his "picture shirts" (as he calls them). I feel like I still don't know what I'm doing as a mom of school age children. Do I ask the teachers how my children behaved every day when I pick them up? Fundraisers, tardiness, absences, classroom sizes, volunteering, PTA, parent workshops.....sigh....whoa, I'm dizzy.

4 Comments:

Sher said...

You'll catch on quick. Do they have some sort of system for behavior? Our kindergarten teachers have a system where "cards" are pulled. Green is good, yellow is one or two warnings, and red is note home to parents. You could ask what their system is...? Good luck school mama!!! I feel for Ethan too, although sometimes I wish my kids had to wear uniforms. Jaxon is getting sooo picky!

anna banana said...

I am right there with you, it is all so different, and like no one tells you what is going on....

The Naylor Family said...

I never really worried ... believe me the teachers will let you know when things aren't going smoothly! I think uniforms should be mandatory clear through High School! It's CRAZY what parents let their 16 year old girls wear to school. Can't actually believe that I don't have ANY kids is grade school or Jr. High! AHHHHHHH I'M OLD!!!

Unknown said...

you'll definitely catch on quick. don't get overwhelmed! just go to one of the PTA mtg.'s and they'll find something for you to do i'm sure! but don't feel obligated to chair anything. ;)