- I love reading these advice columns. Sometimes they are devastating (like the one I read a few years ago when a woman wrote in talking about how much she hated being a mom and couldn't bear the thought of being around her infant...I bawled and wanted to know where she was so I could go get the baby for myself) and sometimes they are funny or insightful. This one is good. We never know what we're in for until we're in it. No one can truly describe what having children is like to someone who hasn't had children. I think it would be fun to write columns like these...anyone hiring?
2. Sadie is finally getting off her belly and crawling. She is also standing and holding on to whatever she can. Her favorie places to stand are at my spice cabinet and our bookshelves/entertainment center. She will gladly sort through my spices for me or pull a magazine down for me. So helpful! She is becoming more and more attached to her dad. Sometimes he is the only one that can console her properly. Last Sunday he got up to say the closing prayer in Sacrament meeting and Sadie was not having it. She reached both her arms up and screamed! Luckily it was still during the last line of the closing hymn so the sound didn't reverberate throughout the enire building.
3. I LOVED Elder Holland's talk in General Conference. This may sound cliche to you but it grabbed me and held on. I really needed that kind of spiritual strength. It was a reminder of what I believe. It was a reminder of the importance of value. It was a reminder of truth. Ever since Prop. 8 I feel as though I have been surrounded by a plethora of lies. Sometimes I can't see straight because of all the deceit around me. Honestly, at times I question the purpose and value of continuing on. It just seems like such a big mountain to climb for nothing because we'll just lose in the end. But his testimony of the Book of Mormon gave me light where there was darkness. He reminded me that I DO NOT want to be one of those who in "the last days even those of the covenant, the very elect, could be deceived by the enemy of truth." (I'm not trying to say I'm one of the very elect.) My favorite part of his talk was this:
Now, I did not sail with the brother of Jared in crossing an ocean, settling in a new world. I did not hear King Benjamin speak his angelically delivered sermon. I did not proselyte with Alma and Amulek nor witness the fiery death of innocent believers. I was not among the Nephite crowd who touched the wounds of the resurrected Lord, nor did I weep with Mormon and Moroni over the destruction of an entire civilization. But my testimony of this record and the peace it brings to the human heart is as binding and unequivocal as was theirs. Like them, “[I] give [my name] unto the world, to witness unto the world that which [I] have seen.” And like them, “[I] lie not, God bearing witness of it.”
If you missed it, read it. I know these are words spoken by one of God's apostles.
4. I think I'll end on that note.


3 Comments:
I can't believe that lady seriously asked that question. Like the writer said, she must never have been in the same room with a kid and it's parent!
I love Sadie. She is getting more and more fun!
Loved that talk, too. Sometimes it's really tempting to say, oh, i'll read the talks later (and maybe never get around to it) but if we take the time, there is always a testimony-renewing, life-altering, or call to change that becomes a jewel in our box of experiences. thanks for reminding me. I'm going to go listen to some of the Saturday talks now...
Sadie is just the cutest! She is growing so fast -- you're right. That was one of my favorite talks from conference too, however there were a lot of them that hit me like that!
that talk was UH MAY ZING. we had the kids watch it the next night for FHE because his testimony is soooo awesome. loved that.
Post a Comment