Sunday, August 23, 2009

Cowboy took me away

I should be on my elliptical machine working up a sweat right now but I'm going to tell you about my weekend instead. Well, the interesting parts anyway. Steve surprised me Friday morning. "These are the plans" he said. My witty reply followed, "what plans?" He told me he had arranged for an overnite trip to Solvang and we were leaving that afternoon. I don't think he had planned on being sick with the common Rasmussen head cold that attacts his eyes and makes him look like this. But sick he was and here we go! Three hours later and too much traffic we arrived in Solvang, did you know we were famous? That's right. Famous enough to have an entire store named after us. I found this cute little toy store that had some groovy sunglasses. Very me, if I do say so myself.

Solvang is basically german for stuff-yourself-silly-with-pastries (just kidding) and thats what we did. We ate some abelskivers for breakfast and then bought one of these for second breakfast. I ate most of it and managed to pause momentarily to capture the last few bites for you. Then I proceeded to the next bakery for a homemade soft pretzel. I couldn't stop myself long to take a picture.
This is the restaurant we ate at on Friday night. It seemed like a happenin' little place and it was Italian food, what can go wrong right? Wrong. Steve and I were not impressed. And it was expensive too, so not worth it.
Before Steve got too sick to head back to the hotel we walked around and stopped inside a cute little bookstore. I didn't think I was that much of a bookworm but sometimes I walk inside bookstores and I just love the smell of books. Thats what happened here. I walked in and caught a wiff of comfort...books. I just wanted to grab one, a blanky and plop on the couch for the rest of the day.
I found the perfect book for Steve. He loves Ender. He's read all about 'im. I think he would have wanted to name one of our children Ender but that's not how I roll (haha...). I showed it to him and he just said he would check it out of the library. That's my Stevo, so practical. Now it was time for a potty break. I walk into the loo and upon inspection I found this. Blehck. Seriously. Who leaves these things for plain view to all the customers? Nasty. Maybe this is what small town is all about? They don't mind the nasties out for display because then at least you know they are cleaning the stalls right? So we don't end of that nasty note here is the final picture. While everyone around me was taking pictures of the town windmills and danish artifacts I decided I would prefer to capture this clock for all to see. It kind of reminds me of teletubbies, do you see it? I have to say, though, its much cooler.
Thanks, hubs, for the weekend getaway! You rock for planning and executing. Now we can check Solvang off the list.

14 Comments:

James and Ev said...

Loved it! I think you painted the picture really well of your trip! Whatever was left out, was of no importance...or none of my business anyways!

Anonymous said...

LOL- I love your sister's comment. It sounds like a fun getaway. I love how Steve surprised you and it wasn't your anniversary or birthday...he's a keeper!!!

The Muries said...

How nice. I would love to go there! Make Dave plan something!!!

Sher said...

What a fun idea, too bad stevo was sicko. happy anniv!

zeeny said...

What a fun trip!! I've always wanted to go there as well...maybe someday!

Bonnie said...

Oooooh, FUN FUN FUN! Well, except for the sick husband, over-priced food, and nasty bathrooms. I am still so impressed that he planned that all by himself. He's a sweetie, I can tell. I can't wait to meet you two.

Oh, and I totally see teletubbies in that clock!

Jessica the Jacked LDS said...

ewww...i'm traumatized by that dirty toilet cleaner...i can smell it from here...thanks a lot camilla.

ww said...

Good job, Steverino! I thought of you while driving thru Mesquite a few days ago...Solvang sounds like a much better vacation destination. We used to always go up there about once a year with my family...so charming and quaint. Hope you've adjusted to real life by now!

The Naylor Family said...

I absolutely LOVE when husbands do those kind of things! We used to go to Solvang all the time when we were growing up. A fun little place. Good that you got to escape for a little while!

Denice said...

I have been there! That pastry pic is worth the trip right? Sorry we missed you guys... we felt like we almost drove past you! Glad the weekend was fun for you guys... Happy Anniversary!

Josh and Mari said...

I love the smell of books, too!

The Nedrys said...

Yeah! Your blog signature looks great!

What a great hubby you have to surprise you like that!

The McGary Family said...

Oh my! We were there on Saturday the 22nd! We had lunch in Solvang and then walked around, I saw the Rasmussen store and I almost took a pic to show you it but Adam was like "they probably already know about it" so i didn't...
Steve gets a gold star for surprising you with a get-away. Glad you two had a nice time together.

Unknown said...

HeLlO dIpSy!! totally see it. :D yeah stevo!!!