I have a long to do list. That's not news. Every day is a long to do list. Some items are new but most are just part of the daily grind (i.e. laundry, dirty dishes that need cleaning, floor mopping, bathroom scrubbing, bed making, etc. etc. etc. etc.). Every day I walk a fine line. Its the motherhood line. Do I play with the kids? Or fold laundry? Do I read some books to my kids or have dinner ready "on time?" I feel like most days I completely flop on my face. Let's be real, my kids are always the first priority but where is the balance? Most days I can't concentrate on anything unless I have the basics done. The definition of basics changes with each mom, I've learned. But I've also learned that most moms feel the same. I am haunted by the possibility that my children's most poignant memory will be of me saying "Not now, I need to do such and such." Every once in a while the day comes to an end and miraculously I feel good about it. I feel that I've juggled everything just right. I hope my kids remember those days. Then there are the days when I wonder, what about me? I get bitten by the running-out-of-time bug. I want to go back to school, I want to have a career, I want to figure out what my dreams are and do them. Thankfully, I have help. I have a great mom. Even better, my kids have a great grandma. Around here we call her Vovo (missing the appropriate accents for the portuguese language). Today (she does this often) she has taken the boys so I can try to accomplish one or two tasks. Before she left with my two favorite boys she said "read this" and plopped an edition of the Mormon Times on my counter, appropriately opened to an article titled 'Women do it all - in sequence.' I sat down with my breakfast and read. It was like someone had disected my brain and put it on paper. I want you to read it. I know I'll be checking in with her regularly. Tiffany Lewis - Women do it all - in sequence (titled differently on the web version)
Saturday, May 16, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


6 Comments:
Thanks for sharing. I will definitely take a cake decorating class or two with you. Plus I might even take up running. We'll see...
I say play with your kids!! That is the only thing that you will remember and the only thing that you can't get back. Pretty soon, they won't want to play with us. That's when we can start doing the other stuff! I'm not saying you just play all day, but if you haven't had a chance to play and the laundry or dinner is looming, just let it be for a half hour. You are a great mom, Camilla! Your boys and girlie are lucky.
Thanks, needed that.
I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels that way, although you said it much better than I could.
Most days I'm left with guilt about the things I didn't do right that day. Balance.... somehow, sometime!
oooh, if i read that does it count as my "scripture" reading for the day?
i got a solution to ur problem. get preg with me and then use the excuse that ur too tired or sick to do it all...
Thanks so much for posting this. I needed it a lot, especially now...thanks :)
Post a Comment